Motown is the kind of place you can only appreciate after you’ve moved away. I always thought it was the most boring place to live, but I’m beginning to see it through new eyes. These are a few of my favorite things about my fair city that I miss when I’m away:
1. My neighbor’s house with the topiaries: I love the deer family, the ducks, swan, bunny rabbit, and teddy bears. As soon as the rain clears, I fully intend on taking pictures!
2. The neighborhood grocery store: I was spoiled with the nicest supermarkets before I was old enough to appreciate them. Now I have to shop at an Albertson’s that doesn’t even have a bakery! Don’t keep me from my French bread, people!
3. Neon lights: Nothing announces that I’m home quite like the neon lights on every storefront.
4. My house: Living in a wide-open space has its perks. My bedroom is spacious and our pool actually has water in it, not bougainvillea like at my apartment complex.
5. Landmarks: There are so many places around town that represent a memory with a Gal Pal—my favorite lunch spot with Notorious M.A.G., English Diva’s doughnut drive-thru, that infamous Starbucks that Lucky 10-Key and I frequented, and the scenic routes I’ve driven with The Pink Fairy.
No matter where you’re at, this hometown girl is wishing you Water, Wealth, Contentment, Health.