I’m going to attempt something short and sweet. It’s been a very long week and I still have one more day to get through. The BF and I had The Inspector over. He pointed at this crack and that broken thingamabob. The condo got a clean bill of health. The only thing that needs some handiwork is my gorgeously kitschy lemon yellow 1958 Westinghouse oven. Apparently the broiler doesn’t work! How ever will I make my famous pork chop dinner?
Here is a brief list of reasons I need to win one of those great big cardboard checks:
- I would like to refinish the hardwood floors. There is enough room to install a barre and I’d like to avoid splinters while I do my dégagés and rond de jambes.
- I would love to get rid of the pink bathroom, but I think I may just have to install a Powder Room sign and call it a day. My ‘rents offered to help redo the tile and such (my poor dad) but I have no clue where to start. Maybe I’ll settle for a white toilet. I think it would be a vast improvement over the dusty rose one. No one ever says, “I paid homage to the dusty rose porcelain God.”
- I just found out that getting new windows and doors are going to cost about four grand. And yet the only thing The Realtor and The Inspector could talk about was my lack of a wedding ring. Hmm…a ring or double-paned safety glass? On top of the windows I need new window coverings. The drapes aren’t horrendous, and I have a feeling I’ll be living with the existing ones for a while. Do my sewing and crafty Gal Pals have any ideas?
- I must purge the kitchen of all things vinyl. The convalescent-reminiscent baseboards were DOA the day they were installed. The random green and white composite tiles defy all explanation.
- I want furniture. I have some. Most of it doesn’t match. It’s a mishmash of Ikea, Target, hand-me-downs, and a few nice things we’ve managed to scrape money together for and buy. I suspect that unless Ed McMahon knocks on my door in the next month, I’ll be sleeping in the same small bed and using the same uncomfortably high coffee table.
Despite some cosmetic flaws, the condo is adorable. I can’t wait to host all of you at some point in the future! Just don’t forget to pack your air mattress—this is prime real estate and unfortunately we don’t have enough cash to spring for guest quarters. I guess that’s what I should do with my cardboard check—upgrade.